The latest firmware update for the Playstation 4 is now available to download and install onto your console. No, this isn’t simply a stability update. Sony actually added some interesting new features to this update; one of them being something that SHOULD have been available since day one, and the other being a nice way to compete with the Xbox One. The new update contains the following enhancements:
- The ability to appear offline while signed into PSN.
- Notifications when friends are online (we just now got this?)
- Scheduled events for friends.
- Parties will now show which game each member of the group is currently playing.
- Remote Play on PC via PC/Mac downloadable app available HERE.
- Updates to the Playstation Mobile app that support these features.
Remote play functionality on PC is something that Xbox One has been doing since the launch of Windows 10 last July; however, the feature is tied to Windows 10 and not available on MacOS. The remote play support for MacOS is a pretty big win on Sony’s part. A word of warning though; the PC/Mac app for remote play does require a pretty modern PC with at least a Core i5 (560M or faster) processor in order to function fully. I would also not recommend running remote play on a PC connected to WiFi since the connection is a little less stable and may cause some latency.
For more information on update 3.50, visit the Playstation Blog.